[Student Quotes of the Week]
1. "Is this gonna be on TV?" (after I informed my students that class was going to be videotaped)
2. "How do you know that we are really the best class in Houston?"
3. Me: "What do we want to do with our last 15 minutes?"
Student: "Let's watch Japanese game shows!"
4. "You mean we're never gonna see you again?"
5. "Can I do this for homework too?"
6. Girl: "Boy - you're lucky I don't beat you up." (a girl in my class referring to a boy in my class)
Me: "Now you know we don't talk like that in class."
Girl: "He knows I'm just playin."
Boy: "No she ain't!"
Happy belated Fourth of July! I just got back into Houston about an hour ago after spending the weekend in New Orleans. Matt Amantea (a college track teammate) and I went to visit another track teammate who is living in New Orleans for the summer. I have never been to the French Quarter and other New Orleans landmarks before, so this weekend was a lot of fun. Much of the city is still trying to make its way back, but the French Quarter/Bourbon Street are very vibrant.
Last week was the best week so far at Institute. My students were awesome. They really hit their stride last week, and we accomplished great things. The story that sticks out in my mind is easily the one thing that I will take away from Institute forever. On Tuesday, we were practicing "writing with voice." During the middle of class, I set aside 20 minutes for the kids to just sit down and write about anything they wished as long as they showed me something about who they are (we had been talking about how "voice equals personality" for the previous two days). After the 20 minutes were over, I asked if a volunteer wanted to read what they wrote to the class. A girl in my class raised her hand, proudly stood up, and began reading. Without getting into details, her story was an extremely well written and very personal narrative about something that had affected her life in a serious way. Knowing my kids well and knowing how sophomore boys are in high school (I once was one), I prayed while she was reading that nobody would make fun of her. When she finished, however, two students began clapping. A couple seconds later, the entire class gave her a standing ovation. I have never felt more proud of a group of people in my entire life. This entire episode -- from great writing, to the courage to read aloud something so personal to the class, to the standing ovation -- was student-driven and nothing was solicited by me. I had to wipe a couple tears from my eye before we were able to move on with class. I was so proud.
Last week I also found out that I have been selected to speak at Closing Ceremonies (which are on Thursday evening). I will be talking about my experiences at Institute, as well as the amazing things that my kids have accomplished. I am so honored and humbled to be chosen to speak, and it will be a great opportunity to tell close to 1,000 people how my students have profoundly impacted me this summer. It will definitely be nerve wracking, but I am excited for the opportunity.
Our last day of class is on Thursday, and I will be able to leave for home on Friday night. So, most likely the next time you will hear from me I will either be in St. Louis or Indy. Unless, however, I feel compelled to sneak in a blog entry before then! Thanks for reading, and please feel free to contact me!!
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You make me proud everyday! I love you!
Mom
Post a Comment